It is already past midnight on the second day of the new year. I promised myself I would dedicate this entry to some of the victories of 2008. The page turned faster than I anticipated, so I need to get started.
WACKER VICTORIES IN 2008
1. Pear Blossom Run. I entered and completed this ten-miler. I thought I reported the results on my fitness blog, but it turns out I didn’t. I’ll fill in the stats later. For now, I just want to say that, my goal was just to use the run for practice and milage. I wasn’t trying to go for a time PR.
2. Leaetta survived an emergency trip to the hospital in the early part of the year. The hospital later forgave the $3,000 bill.
3. Later on, I found that I had worked long enough to qualify for Social Security and also for Medicare coverage. The extra income has made it possible to pay down debts. The medical coverage provided a little more peace of mind.
4. My daughter Linda announced her engagement to Nate Calkins. Wedding in Summer 2009.
5. I increased the revenue of my keyboard sales/service business by about 20% this year despite the downturn in the economy.
6. I survived an audit by the Oregon Dept. of Revenue in better shape than I thought was possible.
7. Linda was hired as a school counselor in St. Helens, which was her dream. The three of us helped her to paint and move into her new office.
8. In October, I took Linda, Nate, Leaetta along on what was my first real vacation since starting work at the piano store. Four days at the Union Creek Inn, near Crater Lake.
9. In December I signed up for CareSource a Medicare Advantage plan that provides better coverage than Medicare alone, does not cost me anything in premiums(!) and will pay half my bill at a local health club.